- All necessary equipment will be provided by the NHSSC, with the exception of fielder’s gloves. Provided equipment includes bases, bats, balls, and strike plate. Batting helmets, and catcher’s masks can be provided upon a team's request, with at least 48 hours notice.
Players may bring their own single-wall bats, provided that they are within the allowable specifications set forth here: Double-wall or multi-wall, composite (any part of the bat), wood, baseball, multi-piece and fungo bats, are explicitly forbidden. Allowable bats must be steel or aluminum, one-piece, single-wall, and non-composite. The ASA mark on a bat does not automatically clear it for usage.
- Semi-Competitive Play Only: All captains shall be present at least 5 minutes prior to gametime. At this time, each captain will show his/her lineup, and be allowed to review the opposing team’s bat selection. Each captain, may, at this time, challenge a given bat that is not fit to be used in the league. That bat shall be removed from play, with no penalty.
If, even after the initial review, a player is found to be using an illegal bat, the bat may be challenged by a player from the opposing team after a player has used a bat, but prior to the next batter receiving a pitch. If the bat is found to contain specifications not allowed by the league (which must be proven by the opposing team), that batter shall be expelled from the game, with an out to occupy that batters spot in the lineup. The batter will be allowed to resume gameplay the following week.
- The legality of a bat may be questioned by a field manager, umpire, or opposing team's player after a player has used a bat, but prior to the next batter receiving a pitch. If the bat is found to contain specifications not allowed by the league, that batter shall be declared out. If the following batter receives a pitch, no further challenge can be made.
If a player is found to be in possession of an altered bat, as soon as that player steps into the batter's box, that player shall be ejected immediately from the game.
- All games will be played with NHSSC-provided regulation softballs. In social leagues, pitchers shall utilize a twelve-inch "Incrediball" or reduced-flight softball for male batters and an eleven-inch softball for female batters. In semi-competitive leagues, pitchers shall utilize a twelve-inch softball for male batters and an eleven-inch softball for female batters.
- Foul lines shall be marked with cones to assist umpires with determining fair and foul balls.
- A runner’s safety base shall be used at first base.
- Any ground rules regarding obstacles or out-of-play areas may be decided upon by the umpire prior to the game, and communicated to the respective team captains.
- Closed-toed shoes are required. Metal cleats or spikes are not allowed.